Dickson logo

The Dickson City Council has adopted a policy establishing the procedure for citizens to make requests for items like speed bumps, signs and street lights.

The Citizen Request Policy formalizes the procedure and forms the city has been using for requests that require city council approval.

“We have several internal policies that direct how the city provides many of its services, but we believed it is in the citizens’ best interest to put this policy in writing and make it available to the public,” City Administrator Rydell Wesson said. “This way the public, city staff and council members are all on the same page and we can more effectively communicate the procedure to citizens.”

A resident requesting speed humps, speed bumps or rumble strips to be placed on city streets, a sign to be installed, street lights to be installed or other items that require council approval will fill out a City of Dickson Request Form. Requests for speed deterrent devices or signs also require a petition to be completed with the signatures of every resident in the impacted area.

For a request for the installation of a street light on an existing or new pole, the citizen must complete the City of Dickson Request Form but is not required to obtain a petition from residents of the area.

The petitions are to be submitted to a Dickson City Council member who represents the ward containing the request. The council member will present the petition and request at a regularly scheduled council meeting, where it will be turned over to the chief of police, fire chief and director of Public Works to determine whether the requested item is “warranted for the safety and well-being of the citizens.”

“We have previously experienced dissatisfaction from some residents over the installation of speed humps, certain signs and even some street lights that were installed at the request of citizens without their neighbors’ knowledge,” Wesson said. “This policy means each request will be presented with all residents in the immediate area being aware and having the opportunity to express their positions by a petition.”

The Policy for Citizen Requests, Request Form and a Request Petition Form are available at cityofdickson.com, by email request to cnorman@cityofdickson.com or at Dickson City Hall, 600 East Walnut St., 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

The new policy also establishes that the director of the Public Works Department will determine the city streets to be paved each year “based on the city’s uniform grading system and his/her determination of the most efficient use of funds allocated by the City Council in each fiscal year’s budget.”

The policy does not affect requests that do not require a vote by the city council, such as pothole and other repairs. Those requests can be made to the Public Works Department by calling (615) 441-9508 during business hours.

Recommended for you