“Skits and Bits” - Little Bits of News and History – Some you may remember, some you may have forgotten and some you may have never heard of before; but all of which took place somewhere, sometime, throughout the years.
October 9, 1923- Construction work was being completed on the pike that was Number One Highway through Dickson County. Work at this time was going on near the Dickson-Humphreys County line.
October 10, 1927- The Dickson County Quarterly Court voted a $234,000 highway bond issue to build Highway 48 from the Hickman County line south of Dickson to the Montgomery County line North of Cumberland Furnace.
October 11, 1890- Construction work was well under way on the railroad connecting the L&N and N.C.& St.L. Railroads running from Pond Switch to Clarksville. The line ran through Hortence, Sylvia, Woodhaven, Vanleer, Slayden, Marion, Lone Oak, Hemitite and Hackberry. A dead end track ran into Cumberland Furnace. The line was discontinued in the 1930’s and the tracks were removed in 1936. The highway running from Pond to Vanleer follows the old railroad route most of the way.
October 11, 1933- T. H. Lacy, long time engineer on the Mineral Branch Railroad running from Dickson to Clarksville, died from injuries he received in a fall a few days earlier. He had recently retired from his position as engineer on the train that bore his name “LACY”. The train ran from Pond to Clarksville making stops at Sylvia, Vanleer, Cumberland Furnace, Slayden, Marion, Louise, Lone Oak, Hackberry, Hematite, with switch tracks at Hortense, Maney’s, Bell Mines, Dry River, and Woodhaven. Engineer Lacy and his wife resided at Pond Switch.
October 12, 1847- Five hundred kegs of powder exploded near the state capitol building grounds in Nashville. The explosion shattered windows and shook buildings for miles in every direction.
October 13, 1978- Louie “Buddy” Frudenthal was killed in a wreck on Yellow Creek Road near the Robert Wynn’s Store and Donegan’s Crossing.
October 14, 1911- The Dickson City Council passed an ordinance requiring all males between the ages of 21 and 45 to work on the streets 3 days a year or pay a $2.00 tax.
October 15, 1927- The automobile repair garage of Melvin Holland, located in Burns, on the Broadway of America Highway, was destroyed by fire.
October 15, 1947- The Cowan Lumber Company was the low bidder on the building of the new Oakmont School. The bid was for $275,000.00. It was reported that the company refused to sign the contract and the bid was relet. D. R. Seley of Nashville was the new low bidder. Cowan denied that he refused to sign the contract. He stated that he at no time or no place was he ever ask to sign a contract of any kind. Dudley “Goat” Harvey was the construction superintendent on the building of the new school building.
H. Alan Ragan is the Dickson County Historian and a full-time Realtor and Auctioneer with Ragan's Five Rivers Realty & Auction Co. Ragan can be reached at his real estate office on Main Street or by e-mail at Alan.Ragan@Ragans.biz. No part of ‘Skits and Bits’ may be reprinted without written permission. © 2019 Ragan Family Skits and Bits.